Helping Speech and Language Grow
Work on Speech Sounds at Home
- The ability to communicate clearly is essential for social and educational growth.
- Helping children improve even a single sound can have a huge impact.
- Better Speech, Language and Social Skills are truly the best gifts any parent can give their child.
I am a Registered Speech Language Pathologist with over 26 years of experience working with many different children and their families in many different settings. I want to help you help your child have the best speech and language skills possible.
My site shares the same ideas and materials that I use with parents in my practice and that I used with my children at home to help them learn to talk.
I hope the ideas and materials help.
The Whys of Speech Therapy
Many parents have questions about speech sounds. Here is, Why correcting sounds is so important, Why sounds should be worked on early and Why sounds should be worked on at home.
Why Work On Speech Sounds?
- Children must be able to communicate clearly to maximize their social and educational potential. Children who cannot speak well often have difficulty making friends and can fall behind in school.
- Speech sound errors place children at risk for difficulty with early reading and spelling. Studies such as this one from the US National Library of Medicine, cleary show the huge connection between speech and early literacy.
- If children go for too long saying sounds incorrectly it affects their ability to listen and to tell the difference between sounds. Good speech means a better start for reading and writing skills.
- Speech errors that go uncorrected can last a lifetime. Problems communicating as an adult can affect social and work lives.
Why Work On Speech Sounds Early?
When my children were growing up I worked on their awareness and development of all sounds from day one. I wanted them to have a head start and to develop language and social relationships to the best of their ability.
- When children learn to say sounds correctly they become easier to understand. They are less frustrated and have better interactions with peers and adults. Children who speak well are more confident.
- Sadly children who can not speak well are treated differently by those around them.
- Early intervention results in the best possible outcome at all ages.
Why Work On Speech Sounds At Home?
Taking a child to see a Speech Therapist or other professional is wonderful but the once or even twice a week that your child can be seen is not enough for real progress.
- Parents are the ones that spend the most time with their children and have multiple opportunities each day to interact in a meaningful way.
- Frequent and consistent practice, even for just a few minutes each day, is what is needed for the best possible progress.
- Working on sounds at home is most often easy and straightforward if the right steps are followed. It is also very cost effective.
- Parents know their children best – you are your child’s first and best teacher.
More and more I find that the best use of my time is to help parents help their children. Daily interaction and stimulation helps speech and language skills develop and for progress to soar.
Parents should always be enabled to support speech and language development at home as much as possible. Supporting parents is powerful, effective and is by far the best possible practice. Research clearly supports Parents as “Speech Therapists“.
Helping your child communicate clearly can be the most rewarding and important time that you spend with them.
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. I can be reached through my Contact Form or by email at SLP@Speech-TherapyatHome.com. I would love to hear from you. I am here to help.
Work on Speech Sounds at Home
- Easy to follow, step by step guides to working on speech sounds at home.
Jennifer R..: Super helpful! Parent friendly language!
Amber M..: Thorough and easy to use! Thanks!